Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 15: Meet the M

I have been unwell for the past couple of weeks, and it has been enough just to get through the day. Today, though, I thought it was time to get going again on the daily challenges!

The challenge for today was to respond to a feminist site in an intelligent and constructive way. I thought I did quite well, and had most of my comments approved. One, though, was rejected, and the excuse given was weak as the reality was that the blogger in question refused to accept me as a person with a valid issue. Elsewhere, on my 'Life by Design' blog I define persoanlity types by comparison to three characters from the James Bond books and films - Bond, M and Q. Bond is the dynamic personality, M the believer in hierarchy and Q the believer in managing change. I am a strong Q, and firmly believe that all changes in technology, for example, are actually changes in the way people act and think. As a consequence, changes are about managing people, caring that they get what they need, even if that happens to be a gun to defend the social group.

The M, though, believes in the hierarchy and the power that they can garner within that environment, and rather than accept change, people must be made to fit the power groups hierarchy. Just mention the word 'grammar' in a group and wait to see who complains about bad grammar and you will have mostly recognised the Ms. To an M, care for you is about another notch on the bedpost of their career, and once they move on to another position you are forgotten.

The strong M in question threw lots of statistics and links to statistics at me, but her underlying message was 'you are a minor statistic I can ignore' - except she couldn't understand why i was not responding by throwing more statistics back.

No comments: